Thursday 20 July 2017

Stop being so concerned about what everyone else has

I used to get concerned if somebody had more of something than me. If they had more fame, more money, more materialism, and pretty much more of anything I used to become jealous. My jealousy used to drive me nuts. It frustrated me, angered me, and made me feel inferior. It wasn't until I realized that having what they had wasn't actually what brought me happiness. It was the other way around.

Society teaches us from a young age that more of anything is better, but it's actually further from the truth than I ever imagined. More of anything just means more problems. I talk to a lot of teenagers today that suffer from the same issue – jealousy. In fact, jealousy is a common emotion among all of us. We all get a little jealous from time to time, but there's really no need for it in your life because it only makes you miserable.

Stop being so concerned about what other people have because chances are they're lacking in another area of life that perhaps you are better at. For example: say someone has a lot of money, or a lot of fame - something you wish you had. But, as you look into it more you'll realize they're lacking in another area (that you're better at), like relationships (maybe they don't have a solid relationship with anyone), or perhaps they didn't have a close relationship with their parents. Or, perhaps they're quite lonely people. We're all lacking in different areas of life. Neither of us are the same. We all have different baggage.

Happiness doesn't come from having more than anything - materialism, fame, fortune, etc. Happiness is a state of mind that can be developed by anyone, no matter who you are. In the long run less is actually more. Be happy with what you have!



Visit me on FaceBook for daily inspiration

2 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I used to feel sad whenever I didn't have the best gifts. Since the day I learned about contentment, I stopped worrying but grateful for whatever I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One quote I'll never forget - Happiness is a state of mind that can be developed by anyone, no matter who you are. This is a thoughtful message. Often times I get jealous too. But when I remember this quote, I change my state of mind! I also believe that in the long run less is actually more. So why worry and fight yourself when see people having things you don't have? Truth is, it's not a healthy attitude.

    ReplyDelete